Sunday, August 8, 2010

Ode to a spider while mowing the lawn

I mowed the lawn today
While mowing there’s not a lot you can say
Just sit on the mower
As your world spins around slower
And you watch the grass clippings soar away

Mowing gives you plenty of time to think
To ponder, take in and drink
Of the things that aren’t seen
In your daily routine
While starting to sweat and to stink

The first thing that caught my eye
As my mower and I flew by
Was a the web of a spider
Though the tree it did hide her
Her web was exactly head high

I am sure that the spider worked hard
At this great food catcher in our yard
But to mow all the grass
On my very next pass
The web I would have to discard

I wondered as the web blew away
How did my actions change her day?
Would she sit and mourn?
Would her Creator the spider scorn?
And if so what would she say?

If this spider were like a man
I am sure she wouldn’t understand
For in her little world
Catastrophe was hurled
And it must have been from YHWH’s Hand

She probably would start to complain
“Is my Creator trying to drive me insane?”
“Doesn’t He even know?
Without food I can’t grow
And my existence will certainly wane?”

She might have even been the kind
When troubles and trials she did find
Start blaming her neighbor
For the destruction of her labor
Even though he was nowhere to find

For you see what we can’t explain
Does certainly drive us insane
Since we don’t KNOW our Creator
We become a typical hater
And put on Him all of the blame

We can’t see the complete universe
So when things in “our world” turn for the worse
We feel we’ve been cheated
Our hopes have been depleted
So often we all start to curse

Maybe we need all to know
If the grass does continue to grow
The level of pain and loss
In our universe from the chaos
Would create problems above and below

So the issue we all must work through
Is our world and all that we do,
Is so little in the frame of it all
But still yet if any should fall
He would catch us…if only we knew

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Isn't it so like man to blame YHVH for all his troubles? Hopefully the spider just went about her business buiding another web :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this on Shabbat Shalom Link-up. I will share this with my daughter. She loves writing poems. Shabbat Shalom
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete