Friday, June 18, 2010

My Dad

Roy Leman Cagle (my dad) was the third child of seven. His dad was a Pentecostal preacher turned used car salesman who loved talking and joking around. Dad's mom was a hard working dedicated woman who loved God and supported her husband.

My dad started smoking when he was young and had surgery on his lungs in his early twenties. Sadly that didn't slow down his smoking and he smoked until the day he died. Dad had the reputation of a daredevil and he showed no fear in taking risks. Ultimately, his adventurous spirit led to his death. He was always on the verge of being kicked out of school due to his orneriness.

My memories of dad are mostly centered around his sense of humor and his work ethics. Dad was always joking around with me and my brother and loved to make us laugh. Most times dad was working at least 2-3 jobs. We were probably poor by most peoples standards but I didn't realize it because I was happy. My mom got to stay at home and take care of us because dad worked so hard. Dad was an auto mechanic, a tow truck driver, 18 wheeler driver and worked in a salvage yard. He was nothing but bones, grit, muscle, caffeine and nicotine.

As I have grown older I have learned to appreciate the good things dad taught me.

1. Hard work is a man's lot. Stay busy and keep moving
2. Don't take yourself too serious. Learn to laugh and smile.
3. No fear. Do not be afraid, but if you are stay calm and don't show fear.
4. Enjoy everyday and live life to it's fullest.
5. Allow your wife the freedom to do what she needs to do without getting in her business.

The last day I ever spent with my dad he was trying to make us boys happy. We had just returned from a long vacation in Missouri visiting relatives. Dad had stayed in Avondale this time so we hadn't seen him for a while. My brother and I begged him to take us swimming so he promised to do that the next day. The next day was the typical Arizona scorcher and dad kept his word and took us out for a swim. We ended up at an irrigation canal in Phoenix and the water was swift and sorta cool. Dad took one too many risks and as a result drowned that hot summer day, I was eleven and my brother was fourteen. I still miss him and will never forget looking into his eyes right before he went down the last time.

My Heavenly Father was watching over us boys that day. We had our neighbor friend with us, so three young boys could have drowned as well that day. Thank you YHWH for your mercy.

The last lesson dad taught me was to remember that today could be your last day. The words you just spoke could be your last words.


3 comments:

  1. A good, sad, insterting and true comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss Ken. Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have met him. I'm very thankful and blessed form the lessons he taught you.

    ReplyDelete